Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Not "Doing" Lent?

Our church board announced a month or two ago that we were not "doing" Lent this year. To them, that meant we were not having an Ash Wednesday service, or Maundy Thursday, or Good Friday. We were not getting into the "liturgical" thing, but just doing Palm Sunday and Easter.

Now, I'm sure they had the best of intentions with this. But I'm not sure we're really doing ourselves any favors. Usually, Lent helps get the mind and heart prepared for Easter. Isn't that what the time is usually about? But instead, this year we are not going to really think about it. We are going to rush head-long on with our busy lives, and not take time for church.

Sunday morning, our pastor asked the congregation if we knew what last Wednesday was. Surprise, surprise, no one knew. So our pastor has decided (thankfully) to focus his sermons on the season of Lent. (hahaha to those who thought we were doing away with any lenten connection)

Usually, my kids have talked about what they were giving up for Lent. Last year, my son gave up Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformers. (He was brave -- and he made it through Lent without them.) But neither of my kids have said anything this year. Nor have I made any effort myself. I guess I have just "gone along" with the crowd.

So, now what? Where am I going from here? I have no idea. And Easter will be here before we know it. In our church, that is truer than we expect.

1 comment:

  1. That's how I always feel when I'm in a church that doesn't "do Lent". Like before I know it, Easter is here, and I'm not ready. I feel your angst...

    ReplyDelete